Why should I understand my body mass index?Fitness Conversations Health & Wellness
bod·y mass in·dex (noun)
a weight-to-height ratio, calculated by dividing one’s weight in kilograms by the square of one’s height in meters and used as an indicator of obesity and underweight.
Know your body mass index,understand your healthy weight.
The Center for Disease Control offers a guide on how and why to watch your body mass index. Obesity is the number one killer in the USA.
What are the health consequences of obesity for adults?
People who are obese are at increased risk for many diseases and health conditions, including the following: 10, 17, 18
- All-causes of death (mortality)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Chronic inflammation and increased oxidative stress
- Some cancers (endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder, and liver)
- Low quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders21,22
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning23
No comments yet.